Freelancing has become one of the trends in generating better income for most professionals today. In fact, one of fields where freelancing is popular is software programming. Today, the world of software development and programming is going through drastic changes. Many big companies and small companies are getting into different levels and options to gear their businesses towards stability.
Because more and more companies are gearing towards different alternatives to better promote their products and services, this need opens up many opportunities to professionals who are doing freelance work. And because of this growing need and demand of companies for freelance programmers, the availability of freelance jobs in the market also increases.
If you are a freelance programmer and you are more than willing to spend extra hours to dedicate your skills, expertise and experience, then you have better chances of survival in the industry. In fact, being a freelance programmer is a potential option for you so you can earn more money.
If you are planning to freelance as programmer, here are some suggestions:
1. FINALIZE YOUR GOALS. This is very important especially if you want to freelance because this will serve as your foundation for the shifting career. Before you finally decide to freelance as a programmer, make sure you develop a clear set of goals to know where you are headed. You should also develop a good business plan to identify your strengths and weaknesses as well as your abilities. Once you have done this, then you can sell your services to various clients.
2. CREATE A GOOD PORTFOLIO. Your portfolio is your presentation in the market. If you want to freelance in the world of programming, your portfolio should reflect what you are marketing. Always remember your portfolio is your "calling card," so make sure you build it well. For a portfolio to be effective in persuading clients to hire you, it should be organized, clear, and professional-looking. If you are beginning to build a portfolio, make sure you include your best works.
3. BUILD AND MAINTAIN GOOD WORKING RELATIONSHIPS WITH YOUR CLIENTS. Working online makes it harder for people to create and maintain good working relationships. But don’t let this prevent you from developing harmonious relationships with your clients. All you need to do is open good lines of communication with your clients and be available when your clients have questions or need clarifications.
4. PROMOTE AND MARKET YOURSELF. You can do this by signing up with online marketplaces, building your own website, creating a self-promotion piece, program or design, or by networking.
5. BUILD A REPUTABLE BUSINESS. Maintain regular business hours when you accept a new project. And always make sure you sign the contract and request half of your fee up from as soon as the project starts.
If you want to find freelance programming work, then visit these websites where freelance jobs for programmers are listed; they include: GetAFreelancer.com, Elance.com, RentACoder.com, and Indeed.com.
An excellent resource to learn about launching a freelance career is Andy Anderson’s book or audio book, “How to Make Money from Home as a Freelancer,” published by http://www.paydaypublishing.com/.