Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Freelancing For Newbies - How to Write an Effective Portfolio by Georgi Jivankin

Many of you are failing in the freelancing business not because of inadequate skills, but because of a bad image. In order to be successful, you should present yourself as a leading expert in your field. For example, if you are a programmer and you want to work on programming projects as a freelancer, you have to demonstrate your skills so they can attract potential buyers.

When I started, I didn't have a portfolio. I relied only on words and that's the main reason for my first failures. It was a real pain for me to know that I am not selected to take any projects, having in mind that I have placed over 20 bids on 20 different projects. I was disappointed and disgusted, but I decided to experiment and I took a different approach. I canceled the remaining bids, opened my favorite text editor and started to write my portfolio. It contained all of my recent works as well as an extensive list of all technologies, languages and programs which I am using on a daily basis. Then, I saved the file and uploaded it on my personal blog. Then I went to the freelancing site and placed a few more bids with the link to my portfolio inside.

Amazingly, after a few hours I won my first project. After a day, I have already completed the work and requested my money from the site and after a week, I was having my first $30USD into my PayPal account. So my advice is to write a compelling and eye-catching portfolio and I guarantee you will receive many more projects by doing so. Not only you'll look more professional and trustworthy, but the buyers will no what exactly you can do for them and what you have done before, so they will have a realistic expectations when they choose you to work for them. Yes, many times you will not be selected because, for example, a provider with better feedback has placed his / her bid on the same project or because the buyer wish to work with a provider from a chosen country or territory, but your chance of success is doubled if you have a good and professional portfolio at your disposal.

Georgi Jivankin is an undergraduate student, but in his spare time he works as a freelancer and internet marketer.